Sunday 21 October 2012

When is painting... easy?

'Girl by Moonlight'
iPad painting
by
Glenn Marshall
http://glenn-marshall.artistwebsites.com/featured/girl-bymoonlight-glenn-marshall.html?newartwork=true

I just love  paintings by John Atkinson Grimshaw.
This iPad paintings contains all the elements of a classic Grimshaw 'moonlight'.
It isn't until you try to paint in another painter's style that you realise just how good they are!
I have learned a great deal by studying the work of painters I admire, and trying to capture their effects and way of working has been a great inspiration and benefit to me in the development of my own style.
I will leave you with a telling quote from another man who could paint a bit - Edgar Degas:
"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do."

No comments:

Post a Comment