Friday 5 June 2015

Wet Road, Woldgate

Wet Road, Woldgate

I love Yorkshire and am proud to be a Yorkshireman. I was born in the West Riding, spent sixteen years in the North Riding and have now lived here in the East Riding for the past seven years. They all have their own attractions but there is one thing in common. Sometimes it rains. Yes I have to admit that the sun does not always shine on God's Own county. But of course rain does not mean an artist can't find some wonderful things to paint. Woldgate is the road made famous by David Hockney in his 'Bigger Picture' at the Royal Academy.I have travelled on it many times and it never fails to inspire. This was the scene between heavy showers when the overcast sky and reflections in the road transformed this fairly mundane scene into something special. I worked with a very limited palette and subdued tones to try and capture the sogginess of the afternoon. I think I succeeded and hope it encourages you to see things differently on your next rainy day.



No comments:

Post a Comment