Wednesday 10 October 2012

Of Tall Trees, Dykes....and Kippers

"Out to Sea"
Original watercolour
by
Glenn Marshall
"Tall Trees in Autumn"
Original watercolour
by
Glenn Marshall
It is such a beautiful day that we decided not to waste it. So this morning we set of on the "tall trees" walk as named by a friend of ours. This is a stroll through the golf club to Dane's Dyke into the trees and back along the cliff tops - it takes me two hours but is well worth the effort.
Now I must digress for a moment:
Recently I did an iPad painting of a tree stump in Dane's Dyke and uploaded it onto the app site under the title ......'Tree Stump at Dane's Dyke',....well what did you expect?
However when I clicked to share my painting up popped a notice saying the title was unacceptable as it contained an offensive word! Any ideas? The only possible candidate was 'dyke' so I re-titled the painting "Tree Stump" and submitted it again.
Success. I added a comment to the effect that 'dyke' merely referred to a defensive ditch that had been in existence for 1100 years. I also pointed out that Holland is full of dykes!!  However when I submitted my comment up popped another warning - if I persisted in using offensive words I would be barred from the site! What more can I say...just be careful how you title your work.
As to kippers - well after 62 years I have finally decided that I like them so after my exertions I enjoyed a couple along with fried santini tomatoes and some of my homemade spelt bread...certainly a day NOT wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment